Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day 30: Enjoying the Shade

Growing up it was tradition to spend Memorial Day driving from town to town decorating the graves of our loved ones who had passed on.

We were taught to show respect for the resting places of those we visited, and we'd carefully clear away the grass that had overgrown the headstones and place flowers nearby.

I am grateful that my Mom took the time and energy to teach me gratitude for those who have come before. I love the quote by Peter Raible that says:

"We sit in the shade of trees we did not plant."

Our lives are built upon a foundation that was laid brick by brick by the righteous lives of those who have come before us. We are an accumulation of these men and women. Ingratitude for their sacrifices may be one of the most erosive forces acting upon this structure.

I am grateful this Memorial Day Weekend to have the opportunity to express my appreciation for those who have paved the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment