Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day 2: All is Well, All is Well

Today is the 24th of July, the day members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints celebrate their pioneer heritage.

At age 19 I had the opportunity to take a month long tour across the United States to study the American Heritage, American Literature and Church History sites. It was AWESOME--one of our stops was the Winter Quarters Temple and Visitors Center.


This temple is unique because the grounds encompass a cemetery. The juxtaposition of the Lord's house where families are sealed for eternity and the cemetery where families are separated for time is inspiring.

I didn't appreciate this fully at 19.

And I didn't really 'get it' at 25 when I lived in Iowa and would come to this temple.

At 26. . .I get it.

My Dad told me that when he saw Blaine and I kneeling across from one another to bury Shiloh that he was overcome with an image of the pioneers crossing the plains, burying their babies in the ground.
[This] statue stands in the center of the cemetery. It signifies the couple pressing on through hard trials. The cemetery here in Winters Quarters is a children's cemetery. Many families suffered the loss of a child or children.
(http://www.mormonchic.com/gospel/ch_tour_winter_qtrs.asp)


Today, I am grateful for my pioneers. It is a happy day.
And all is well. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment